Friday, December 20, 2013

Book Review: Merry Market Murder by Paige Shelton

Title: Merry Market Murder
Author: Paige Shelton
Series: Book 5, Farmer's Market Mysteries
Publisher: Penguin, Berkley Prime Crime
Format: e-Book
Source: Purchased from Amazon
Reviewed by: Melina

Publisher's Summary:
Bailey’s Farmers’ Market is this season’s go-to holiday destination, but not all the vendors are feeling the Christmas spirit...

Jam and preserve maker Becca Robins is excited about the extra business that the Ridgeway Christmas Tree Farm is bringing to the market this holiday season. But when a competing tree farmer, Reggie Stuckey, arrives with a truck full of trees, angrily barking that he has exclusive selling rights at the market, Becca finds herself pining for more goodwill toward men.

After Reggie is found with a tree stake in his chest, she wonders when the Christmas tree business turned so deadly. Now Becca has to use the only clues she has to the killer’s identity—mysterious ornaments that begin to show up in her stall—to hook a sinister Scrooge who will go to any lengths to drive home a point…

Our Review:
This was my first visit to Bailey’s Farmers Market, but it sure won’t be my last. I would actually like to visit Bailey’s Farmers Market for real, I just hope there wouldn’t be a murder if I did get to visit. I don’t know if I would like Becca’s Jalapeno Mint Jelly or not, as I don’t like jalapenos, but I would try her other preserves.

This was a very good cozy that kept me guessing till the very end. It was filled with quirky characters. Two rival Christmas tree farmers claim they had the exclusive rights to sell their trees at Bailey’s for the Christmas season. When Reggie Stuckey, one of the Christmas tree farmers, is found dead in the back of his truck, Becca goes all out to help her boyfriend, policeman Sam, to solve the crime. The two uncover a lot of secrets from the past, including two failed marriages and a politician who walked away from her office. Throw in the town of Monson getting ready for their annual Christmas tree parade and Becca is very busy indeed. This cozy kept me intrigued and I kind of suspected the killer, but wasn’t quite sure, it left me guessing for sure. I highly recommend this book if you are looking for a great holiday read that is also a great cozy mystery.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LEGAL

All reviews are copyrighted by Tina Diamond and Marlene Patterson. Tina Diamond's reviews also appear at Amazon.com and Goodreads.com.

Tina Diamond is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Assiociates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed for a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com