Thursday, August 1, 2013

Top 5 Places to Visit in a Cozy Town with Duffy Brown

One of the reasons I wanted to writer my Consignment Shop mysteries was to set a book in Savannah. I love Savannah. My daughter went to school there and I fell in love with the city and the people.


Savannah is the old South as opposed to Atlanta the new South. One of the big reasons is because Sherman didn’t burn it to the ground sparing all the old wonderful mansions like the Sorrel Wee House restored to perfection…and haunted like no other. Savannah is one of the most haunted cities in the US and Last time Ghost Hunters was there they captured screams of Get out! Get out! Get out! on tape followed my Help me!

My favorite thing about Savannah…besides the incredible food…is that 23 squares dot the city. These squares were laid out by George Oglethorpe when he and his merry band of followers founded the city. The squares are a block in size, shaded by huge Live Oak trees draped in Spanish moss. One look at Savannah square and you know you’re not in Kansas or NYC or LA. This is GWTW territory for real. If you ever read/seen Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, you know Savannah. The home of pralines, sweet tea, voodoo--that is not a tourist trap scheme like in New Orleans but here spoken of in hushed voices--and springtime! No place does spring better than Savannah. It’s a two-month long event with azaleas in the squares and in the parks big as a bus, magnolias big as a dinner plate, the whole city one big impressionist painting and smelling line heaven on earth

Some of my favorite places to eat in Savannah are Zunzis for their Conquistador sandwich and special sauce that drips off your fingers when eating it, the Old Pink House for shrimp and grits and the Pirate House where Robert Louis Stevenson wrote Treasure Island and has delish she-crab soup, pecan chicken and the great ghost stores the staff will tell you if you ask. The best thing to do when you get to Savannah is park your car and eat your way across the city. No chain restaurants here but real Southern cooking at it’s finest. Be sure to visit Tubby’s on River Street for fried oysters and a Moon River beer.


The only thing Savannah has more of than bars are churches. The plan is sin on Saturday and be able to repent on Sunday. Be sure to grab a beer and handful of Tabasco popcorn at Pinky Masters and go to Jen’s and Friends for the martini of your choice. Ever had a Snickers martini?

This is just a touch of Savannah. If my kids didn’t live in Cincinnati I’d live in Savannah. I’m a closet belle…have the baton, pearls and manners to prove it. If you ever want to take a roadtrip to Savannah, let me know at we’ll meet up at Leopold’s for a double-dip of Old Black Magic ice cream . Nothing beats Leopold’s and no city is more Southern than Savannah. 

Duffy Brown is the author of the Consignment Shop Mysteries. Check out her books on Amazon. Follow Duffy on the web: Website | Twitter | Facebook

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me, Bella. So many neat places to visit in small towns. And the food is always terrific. One of the big problems driving the interstate is you miss a lot of these towns and they are all so unique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your tour thru Savannah!
    I'm currently reading the first book in Duffy Brown's Consignment series, and love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I can't wait to read these books! And I love Savannah, too! It's classically Southern...perfect town to spend time in! Sweet hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sister and her husband just returned from a trip to Savannah and they loved it as well! They raved about the food as well as the atmosphere.

    Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting on my blog! I'll have to check out some of your books, as I'm a raging bookaholic.

    Cindy at Notes in the Key of Life

    ReplyDelete

LEGAL

All reviews are copyrighted by Tina Diamond and Marlene Patterson. Tina Diamond's reviews also appear at Amazon.com and Goodreads.com.

Tina Diamond is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Assiociates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed for a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com